Being Made Like Him
1 John 3:1-3
1 Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.
2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.
3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure. NKJ)
This message was preached January 20, 2002 at FBC Toulon, by Albert Harmon. See it at toulonbaptist.com
It starts when we are only a few minutes old. People begin to look for the family resemblance. It continues throughout life. If we come from a family of brothers and sisters they look for the resemblance. If we are an only child they look at mom & dad or aunts and uncles. And I have seen some demonstration that the longer a couple live together, the more the look like each other.
But in our passage this morning we are considering a different family. It is God's family. In God's family all the children should look like each other. Not in physical characteristics but in spiritual characteristics. Little do people understand that that is God's purpose with us, to make us like Him.
Now that might be a little difficult to understand. To be like God. Well we already know that it began when we were born again. When we were regenerated , born into God's family, God gave us or imparted to us His own nature the divine nature.
But John is somewhat mystified, for he says we do not know exactly what we shall be but we do know that when He appears, we shall be like Him.
- Beloved, now we are children of God
- We must not forget that is is not for all.
- Not everyone is a child of God.
- John list two different groups here.
- The children of God
- And the world.
- He says that the world does no know us nor Jesus.
- The blessings of God are for His children.
- The promises of God are for His children.
- It has not yet been revealed what we shall be
- It is a mystery
- A mystery in the Bible is not a secret that we are not to know, but something that has not been yet revealed.
- John says we do not know how this is going to work, but it will work.
- We are physical beings and we have doubts about the spiritual.
- But the spiritual world is just a real as ours.
- Every person has not only a physical body but also a soul or spirit that will never die.
- The spiritual part is who we really are, the essence of our being.
- But mysteries are revealed in time.
- Paul refers to several that were hidden from the beginning but were revealed to him.
- But even in a mystery there are some certain things.
- 1Co 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
- We know that when He is revealed
- The very first thing we know is that Jesus is coming back.
- He will return personally and physically.
- The more liberal forms of Christianity do not believe that Jesus is coming back, but that He comes for us when we die.
- We shall be like Him
- We will have a body like His resurrected body.
- We will have His mind, that is His desires, passions, and attitude.
- Php 3:21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.
- Ps 17:15 As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.
- Ro 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
- Job 19:26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
- 2Co 5:6-8 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: (For we walk by faith, not by sight:) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
- We shall see Him as He is.
This message was preached at FBC Toulon, by Albert Harmon. See it at http://toulonbaptist.com