20 My son, keep your father's command,
And do not forsake the law of your mother.
21 Bind them continually upon your heart;
Tie them around your neck.
22 When you roam, they will lead you;
When you sleep, they will keep you;
And when you awake, they will speak with you.
23 For the commandment is a lamp,
And the law a light;
Reproofs of instruction are the way of life,
This message was preached May 12, 2002 at FBC Toulon, by Albert Harmon. See it at http://toulonbaptist.com
A cartoon in the Saturday Evening Post showed a young boy about five or six years old talking on the telephone, saying, "Mom is in the hospital, the twins and Roxie and Billie and Sally and the dog and me and Dad are all home alone." --James S. Hewett, Illustrations Unlimited (Wheaton: Tyndale House Publishers, Inc, 1988), p. 376.
Mother's Day is when everybody waits on mother and she pretends she doesn't mind the extra work. -- Croft M. Pentz, The Complete Book of Zingers (Wheaton: Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., 1990).
It's easy to spot an overprotective mother; she's the one who controls her kids better than you control yours. -- Croft M. Pentz, The Complete Book of Zingers (Wheaton: Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., 1990).
Just about the time a mother thinks her work is done, she becomes a grandmother. -- Vern McLellan, The Complete Book of Practical Proverbs and Wacky Wit (Wheaton: Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., 1996).
Number of children enrolled in child-care facilities in 1992: 2,500,000 In 1960: 141,000 -- Ministry Currents, 4-6/92. "To Verify," Leadership.
Mothers are very special people. But yet there are so many of them. Often we tend to devalue those things that there are plenty of. Today we have devalued mothers to the point that many young girls do not ever want to be a mother. How sad that we could live in a society that views motherhood so grimly.
A larger percentage of women will plan to live a life without children than in any previous generation. It is part of the process of the dismantling of the family unit.
If there is one thing that the radical feminist, and the gay & lesbians have in common it is the removal of the traditional family unit as the standard family.
Some groups have even begun as early as kindergarten to influence the next generation with such educational programs as the one that depicts as normal a family with two mothers and no dad, or two dads and no mothers.
But why not let the Bible tell us about life and family and the role of women in society?
- Do not forsake the law of your mother.
- Bind them continually upon your heart;
- They ought to be dear to us.
- The teaching of parents are not simply to be obeyed but to be loved.
- It is then and only then that they will have their intended end.
- Tie them around your neck.
- The idea is to have them always with us.
- They are not to be put in a drawer.
- They are not hidden or locked away.
- They are not to be treasured away but displayed so they will always be with us.
- When you roam, they will lead you;
- It is much easier to get children to mind when they are at home.
- It is when they get to someone else's home that we worry.
- But if they have become a part of us they will keep us regardless of where we might go.
- When you sleep, they will keep you;
- The security that the keeping of the words gives even extends to the time of sleep.
- Sleep at home in a secure place is a great comfort.
- Sleeping on the street would not be.
- When children keep the words of parents it gives them security.
- They can have security even in the most insecure times.
- And when you awake, they will speak with you.
- The words of parents should be such that they speak to their children even when the parents are no where to be seen.
- That takes love on the part of the parent.
- Children who obey out of fear, when the fear is removed will no longer obey.
- The purpose of rasing children is so they will eventually get out on their own, to be independent.
- But never to be independent of the instruction of the parents.
- To be independent of the instruction of parents is to bring certain destruction.
- For the commandment is a lamp,
- In the darkness of the differing values of our day, children need light.
- We need to gently teach our children the way they should go.
- The direction we give children and grand children will far outlive us if we instruct them correctly.
- And the law a light;
- No child likes law.
- No child says I hope mom sees me and stops me.
- But that is because they cannot see the result of the action.
- Reproofs of instruction are the way of life,
- I want us to notice what the writer is leading into, (sexual sins)
- This is the greatest problem of our day.
- They moral relativism of our day has made this generation subject to so many pitfalls.
- Notice on the back of the bulletin.
- I watch program after program on the HIV problem in Africa and each time the solution is condoms.
- That is not the answer.
- It will never be the answer.
- Abstinence is the only answer.
- The Planned Barronhood program of sex education has only increased the pregnancy rates in this country, until recent years.
- In recent years some common sense groups have begun to teach abstinence only sex education.
Mothers are the gatekeepers of life in more ways than one.