And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your
bodies to God. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice--the kind he
will accept. When you think of what he has done for you, is this too
much to ask? 2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but
let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you
think. Then you will know what God wants you to do, and you will know
how good and pleasing and perfect his will really is.
This message was preached
August 10, 2003 at FBC Toulon, by Albert Harmon. See it at
3 As God's messenger, I give each of you this warning: Be honest
in your estimate of yourselves, measuring your value by how much
faith God has given you. 4 Just as our bodies have many parts and
each part has a special function, 5 so it is with Christ's body. We
are all parts of his one body, and each of us has different work to
do. And since we are all one body in Christ, we belong to each other,
and each of us needs all the others. NLT
Many people struggle in life. Even Christians often have problems.
Other Christians have wondered so far from the right way that they
have been absorbed or assimilated by the world. So much so that they
have totally lost their Christian witness. The purpose of our message
this morning is to address that. If you have struggled with who you
are as a Christian and have had difficulty making that wit into the
rest of your life, then this message is for you. If you have gotten
out of step with Jesus in your life then listen to what God's word
has for you.
- Isa 51:1 "Listen to me, all who hope for deliverance--all
who seek the LORD! Consider the quarry from which you were
mined, the rock from which you were cut! NLT
- In this passage God is calling the nation of Israel to
remember where they had begun
- They were not a great people but small.
- We need to remember that it was grace that brought us to
where we are.
- We are here this morning because of God's amazing
- We were lost and without hope, condemned and alienated
- Eph 2:3 All of us used to live that way, following
the passions and desires of our evil nature. We were born
with an evil nature, and we were under God's anger just
like everyone else. NKJV
- Eph 4:17-19 This I say, therefore, and testify in the
Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of the
Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind,18 having
their understanding darkened, being alienated from the
life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them,
because of the blindness of their heart;19 who, being
past feeling, have given themselves over to lewdness, to
work all uncleanness with greediness. NKJV
- This keeps us humble.
- It makes us usable for His service.
- If we do not remember where we came from we might get
the idea that we are deserving of heaven and better than
those "poor misguided souls" who are out side.
- We must never loose sight that without the grace of God
we could be the most defiled individual that we know.
- Think Soberly
- Rom 12:3 For I say, through the grace given to me, to
everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly
than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt
to each one a measure of faith. NKJV
- Pride is a natural characteristic of our fallen nature.
- It comes from Satan himself.
- We are never so like Satan when are over come by
- Isa 14:13-14 13 For you have said in your heart: 'I
will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the
stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the
congregation On the farthest sides of the north; 14 I
will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be
like the Most High.' NKJV
- 1 Cor 15:12 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am,
- You're in a spiritual battle
- We have two natures
- Gal 5:16-18 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you
shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.17 For the flesh
lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh;
and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do
the things that you wish.18 But if you are led by the
Spirit, you are not under the law. NKJV
- Col 1:21-23 21 And you, who once were alienated and
enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has
reconciled 22 in the body of His flesh through death, to
present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His
sight --23 if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and
steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the
gospel which you heard, NKJV
- Eph 4:22-24 22 that you put off, concerning your former
conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the
deceitful lusts,23 and be renewed in the spirit of your
mind,24 and that you put on the new man which was created
according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.
- Know your resources
- Your Bible
- I am somewhat disturbed by the slight attention many
Christians give to their Bibles.
- In many nations around the world Christians would
give almost anything for even a single book out of the
- In other nations people give a months wages or more
for a Bible.
- They value their Bible above even their own
- Yet here in America we spend more time brushing out
teeth then we do in God's Word.
- Is it any wonder that the church in America has gone
so far astray?
- Some people are upset that their denominational
leaders want to accept homosexuals into the ministry, but
those same leaders have not accepted the virgin birth of
Jesus Christ for decades.
- Your Bible is the source of wisdom, strength.
- It is the message of the almighty living God.
- The Holy Spirit
- I mention the Bible before the Spirit because it is the
Word of God that the Holy Spirit uses to communicate with
- Eph 6:17 the sword of the Spirit, which is the word
of God; KJV
- He is our teacher.
- John 14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the
Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things,
- He is our guide.
- John 16:13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has
come, He will guide you into all truth; NKJV
- He is our convector.
- 1 Thess. 5:19 Quench not the Sprit.
- Eph 4:30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by
whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. NKJV
- Other believers (the church)
- Heb 10:24 And let us consider one another in order to
stir up love and good works, NKJV
- Find your purpose
- Read from Keach's Catechism or Spurgeon's Catechism