1 Cor 10:13
Remember that the temptations that come into your life are no
different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will
keep the temptation from becoming so strong that you can't stand up
against it. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that
you will not give in to it. NLT
This message was preached
August 17, 2003 at FBC Toulon, by Albert Harmon. See it at
Understanding the difference between temptation and sin
- Temptation defined. Temptation is a solicitation to do
something outside the will of God.
- Anything that is out side the will of God is sin.
- Solicitations can be faint & fleeting or they can be
strong & persistent.
- Being tempted is not a sin but to follow through on the
temptation is sin.
- James 1: 14 Temptation comes from the lure of our own
evil desires. 15 These evil desires lead to evil actions,
and evil actions lead to death. NLT
- Where does temptation come from
- James says it comes from our own desires.
- Desires are not necessarily wrong but they can be.
- We have a desire for food but it can become a sin.
- We have a desire for intimacy but when not properly
channeled that too can becomes sin.
- Some desires are always wrong.
- The desire to have what belongs to another is
covetousness, one of the big 10.
- The desire of children may lead to the dishonor of
- Even desiring something good can be a sin.
- If you desire an education and a good career, that
can be a sin if God's will for your life is service to
- As Vance Havner would say, "We often sacrifice the
best by settling for the good."
- This is one of the things that set apart the life of
Jesus, He always did only the Father's will.
- What works to our disadvantage
- We have a fallen nature.
- When Adam chose to not follow God's will, he died
spiritually, just as God had said he would. Gen 2:16-17 "Of
every tree of the garden you may freely eat;17 but of the
tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat,
for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."
- As a descendent of Adam we too have a fallen nature.
- Eph 2:3 All of us used to live that way, following
the passions and desires of our evil nature. We
were born with an evil nature, and we were under
God's anger just like everyone else. NKJV
- Col 2:13 And you, being dead in your trespasses
- Paul refers to this as:
- Eph 4:22 that you put off, concerning your former
conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according
to the deceitful lusts, NKJV
- 1 Cor 2:14 the natural man does not receive the
things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to
him; nor can he know them, NKJV
- Rom 7:5 When we were controlled by our old
nature, sinful desires were at work within us, and
the law aroused these evil desires that produced sinful
deeds, resulting in death. NLT
- Eph 4:22 throw off your old evil nature and
your former way of life, which is rotten through and
through, full of lust and deception. NLT
- We live in a fallen world.
- When we want to do what is right the world influences us
- We have legitimate businesses that temp us to sin.
- The media has a continual counter God message.
- In the themes they develop for their programing.
- In their slant against morality.
- I was watching ABC 20/20 the other night and they
were going on and on how the gay lifestyle has taken
over prime time TV.
- Even our education system from Pre-K through college
is at best Godless.
- there can be no reference to God as creator for we
all know we came from bugs.
- there can be no mention of God's influence in our
early history, that would be tantamount to
- We have an ally in our sin
- Satan persuaded our first parents.
- He is still working today.
- Peter said we should be careful of him. 1 Peter 5:8 Be
sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks
about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.
- Paul cautioned his readers to be careful of his devices.
2 Cor 2:11 lest Satan should take advantage of us; for we
are not ignorant of his devices. NKJV
- What works to our advantage
- We have the written guide the Bible.
- Ps 119:11 I have hidden your word in my heart, that I
might not sin against you. NLT
- John17:17. "Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is
- We have the Holy Spirit
- Jesus said He was the other Comforter, One called along
side to help.
- He leads
- He teaches
- He strengthens
- His power is greater than that of Satan.
- 1 John 4:4 You are of God, little children, and have
overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than
he who is in the world. NKJV
to be tempted is not a sin.
Jesus was tempted in every area we are without ever sinning.
We have some great disadvantages in this effort.
Consider the high jump WORLD RECORDS 2, 45 m Javier Sotomayor,
CUB, 27 Jul 1993, Salamanca
Our weight is against us.
Our height might affect us
gravity is the greatest disadvantage.
But God has given us the Holy Spirit edge.
We just need to claim our dependence on Him and give our lives
over to His control.