Has God Spoken?
God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, 2 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, NKJV
The question presupposes God's existence. And the overwhelming m majority in this country believe there is a God.
It is reasonable to think God would communicate with mankind.
The deist believe God created everything and then left it to its own end.
Like a watchmaker who after making the watch, winds it and lets it run down.
But must people do not understand God to be like that.
In order to proceed we must agree on several points. If we cannot agree then we could take the same information and end up with opposite conclusions.
This message was preached September 14, 2003 at FBC Toulon, by Albert Harmon. See it at ToulonBaptist.com
- God is God and there is none like Him
- He is exclusive in His class.
- There is but one God.
- The ancient pagans had numerous God's who were in their character quite human and sometimes sinful.
- Present day pagans claim equality with Christianity.
- I read this week were a WICCAN group has sued a city because they want the right to lead in prayer like anyone else at the city council.
- God has all wisdom and knowledge.
- If you do not have this view then you will say that God just made a mistake.
- Or you will say that is what God wrote back then but by now He knows better.
- Or you will say yes back in Bible days that is what God wanted but now He has changed His mind.
- Or you might say that God spoke to Moses but He has a different message for us, we are under different rules.
- The above views basically tell us that God and one time or another will come to disagree with Himself.
- God never changes
- In His character.
- Mal 3:6 "For I am the LORD, I do not change; Therefore you are not consumed, O sons of Jacob. NKJV
- Heb 6: 17 Thus God, determining to show more abundantly to the heirs of promise the immutability of His counsel, confirmed it by an oath, 18 that by two immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we might have strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold of the hope set before us. NKJV
- Heb 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. NKJV
- FAITHFULNESS Faithfulness is one of the characteristics of God's ethical nature. It denotes the firmness or constancy of God in His relations with men, especially with His people. It is, accordingly, one aspect of God's truth and of His unchangeableness. God is true not only because He is really God in contrast to all that is not God, and because He realizes the idea of Godhead, but also because He is constant or faithful in keeping His promises, and therefore is worthy of trust (see TRUTH). (from International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia, Electronic Database Copyright ©)1996 by Biblesoft)
- Ex 3:13 Then Moses said to God, "Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they say to me, 'What is His name?' what shall I say to them?" 14 And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel,'I AM has sent me to you.'" 15 Moreover God said to Moses, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel: 'The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is My name forever, and this is My memorial to all generations.' NKJV
- In His will and purpose
- Acts 15:18 "Known to God from eternity are all His works. NKJV
- That is why we can trust Him
- If God changed in His will and purpose, maybe He would decide to not let us into heaven.
- Maybe God would at the last minute withdraw His grace and not allow Jesus righteousness to stand for ours.
- In His requirements.
- This is some people's favorite.
- They think that what God required in Bible days is not for us today.
- By this type of thinking you can throw out all that God said about homosexuality and adultery.
- You might as well say that God has changed His mind about stealing or murder, there is the same basis for it.
- Ps 119:89 For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. KJV
- God is able to communicate directly with His creation.
- Our Bible is not an apologetic work.
- It assumes God exists and tells us straight out what He has said.
- In reality, contrary to what some think, very little is left for interpretation.
- People's basic problem with the ten commandments and the rest of what God said is not that of the establishment of religion but people do not like God telling them what they can and cannot do.
- Our text says "God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, 2 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son" NKJV
- For almost 2000 years the question has not been "Has God spoken" but will you believe and accept it.
- John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. NKJV
Over the next few weeks I hope to build your faith in the fact that God has spoken. I hope to give you some new insight into the veracity of the Word of God.
This would be a great time to invite a friend who is weak in the faith or someone you have been trying to reach with the Gospel.