Daniel's Outline of History
27 Daniel answered in the presence of the king, and said, "The secret which the king has demanded, the wise men, the astrologers, the magicians, and the soothsayers cannot declare to the king. 28 But there is a God in heaven who reveals secrets, and He has made known to King Nebuchadnezzar what will be in the latter days. Your dream, and the visions of your head upon your bed, were these: 29 As for you, O king, thoughts came to your mind while on your bed, about what would come to pass after this; and He who reveals secrets has made known to you what will be. 30 But as for me, this secret has not been revealed to me because I have more wisdom than anyone living, but for our sakes who make known the interpretation to the king, and that you may know the thoughts of your heart.
This message was preached October 5, 2003 at FBC Toulon, by Albert Harmon. See it at ToulonBaptist.com
31 "You, O king, were watching; and behold, a great image! This great image, whose splendor was excellent, stood before you; and its form was awesome. 32 This image's head was of fine gold, its chest and arms of silver, its belly and thighs of bronze, 33 its legs of iron, its feet partly of iron and partly of clay. 34 You watched while a stone was cut out without hands, which struck the image on its feet of iron and clay, and broke them in pieces. 35 Then the iron, the clay, the bronze, the silver, and the gold were crushed together, and became like chaff from the summer threshing floors; the wind carried them away so that no trace of them was found. And the stone that struck the image became a great mountain and filled the whole earth. NKJV
I like history. I didn't like it when I was in school, but now I have quite a few history books both hard copies and on computer and even quite a collection in audio format. I like history because it is fascinating to see how God has guided the nations to accomplish His plan and to complete His purpose.
I just listened to an excellent work called Killer Angels about the battle of Gettysburg during the Civil War. And I also listened to the book of Gods and Generals that they made into a movie. But of all the history books I have, everyone of them was written after the things described in them took place. I only have one book that gives us history written in advance and that is the Bible. There are many places where the Bible speaks concerning events to come but Daniel is the most complete record of World History written before it happened.
Nebuchadnezzar's Dream; Daniel 2
Daniel's Vision of the Four Beasts; Daniel 7
Daniel's Vision of the Ram and Male Goat; Daniel 8
Daniel's Vision of the Seventy Weeks; Daniel 9
The King of the North & the King of the South; Daniel 11
The Anti-Christ and the end times; Daniel 11:36-End
I wish we had several weeks to deal with all the details of these marvelous passages. But then now you have something to do on those rainy fall days.
What I want to do today is to show you that God writes history before it takes place. Remember the challenge that God gave those who worshiped false gods to tell the future if they could. Well God can and He has. In this short book of the Old Testament God has laid out the world empires from 600 b.c. until the end of time.
- The general outline Daniel 2
- This came through the dream that brought Daniel to prominence above the wise men of the kingdom.
- Neb. Has a dream but cannot remember what it was.
- He calls his wise men to tell him the dream and the meaning of it.
- They cannot so he orders all the wise men to be killed.
- Somehow Daniel was not in on the failure and assures the king that he can give the interpretation of the dream.
- The next day he does just that and give all the glory to the God of heaven.
- The dream
- A great image like a man
- The head is made of gold
- The shoulders and arms are made of silver
- The chest and sides of brass
- The legs of iron
- The feet and toes of iron mixed with clay
- A stone cut out supernaturally destroys the image by striking it on the feet
- The interpretation
- Neb. Was the head of gold as he represented the Babylonian empire
- The Medo-Persian empire is the silver
- The Greek empire is the brass
- The iron is the Roman empire
- The feet and toes are the Revived Roman Empire that is yet to arise.
- The Stone is Jesus Christ who when He returns will destroy all the world kingdoms and set up His own that will fill the earth.
- Filling in the details - the four beasts - Daniel 7
- The first was like a lion, and had eagle's wings v-4
- A bear raised up on one side with three ribs in its mouth between its teeth v-5
- A leopard which had on its back four wings of a bird and also had four heads v-6
- A fourth beast, dreadful and terrible, exceedingly strong. It had huge iron teeth; it was devouring, breaking in pieces, and trampling the residue with its feet. It was different from all the beasts that were before it, and it had ten horns. 8 I was considering the horns, and there was another horn, a little one, coming up among them, before whom three of the first horns were plucked out by the roots. And there, in this horn, were eyes like the eyes of a man, and a mouth speaking pompous words v-7, 8
- The Ancient of Days was seated; I watched till the beast was slain, and its body destroyed and given to the burning flame. 12 As for the rest of the beasts, they had their dominion taken away, yet their lives were prolonged for a season and a time. V-9-12
- A closer look at kingdoms 2 & 3 Daniel 8
- A ram which had two horns, and the two horns were high; but
- one was higher than the other
- the higher one came up last
- I saw the ram pushing westward, northward, and southward, so that no animal could withstand him; nor was there any that could deliver from his hand, but he did according to his will and became great.
- A male goat came from the west,
- across the surface of the whole earth, without touching the ground;
- the goat had a notable horn between his eyes.
- Then he came to the ram that had two horns he was moved with rage against him, attacked the ram, and broke his two horns.
- There was no power in the ram to withstand him, but he cast him down to the ground and trampled him; and there was no one that could deliver the ram from his hand.
- Therefore the male goat grew very great;
- when he became strong, the large horn was broken,
- in place of it four notable ones came up toward the four winds of heaven.
- out of one of them came a little horn which grew exceedingly great toward the south, toward the east, and toward the Glorious Land.
- The little horn
- He even exalted himself as high as the Prince of the host;
- by him the daily sacrifices were taken away
- he cast truth down to the ground. He did all this and prospered.
- The Seventy-Weeks Prophecy Dan 9:20-27
- "Seventy weeks are determined For your people and for your holy city,
- To finish the transgression,
- To make an end of sins,
- To make reconciliation for iniquity,
- To bring in everlasting righteousness,
- To seal up vision and prophecy,
- And to anoint the Most Holy.
- from the going forth of the command To restore and build Jerusalem until Messiah the Prince, There shall be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks
- And after the sixty-two weeks Messiah shall be cut off
- And the people of the prince who is to come Shall destroy the city and the sanctuary.
- Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week;
- But in the middle of the week He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering.
- And on the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate, Even until the consummation
- The King of the North & the King of the South; Daniel 11
- This chapter is the single most far reaching and accurate prophecy in all the Bible
- This passage tells what will happen about 300-400 years in advance
- Yet with such accuracy that the liberals cannot allow it to stand
- We cannot go into it today but get a good commentary and find out how God foretold a whole series of battles and the intrigue that surrounded these two off-shouts of the Greek empire.
- The Anti-Christ and the end times; Daniel 11:36-End
- Since this part has not been fulfilled we cannot comment on it except to say anyone would be a fool to not think it will come to pass just as God has spolen it to Daniel.
I challenge all those who deny the Bible to be an supernatural book to explain how the prophecies of the book of Daniel could have been written. The Bible is an amazing book. You can bet your life on it. Better on it than the philosophy of the world.