Let Us Give Thanks
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever.
This message was preached November 23, 2003 at FBC Toulon, by Albert Harmon. See it at ToulonBaptist.com
Thanksgiving is one of my favorite times of year. It not that people become more thankful during that time. But that at that time people might come to realize the benefactor of all they possess.
In Vermont a farmer was sitting on the porch with his wife. He was beginning to realize how much she meant to him. It was about time--for they had lived together forty-two years, and she had been such a help, a very willing worker. One day as they sat together, he said, "Wife, you've been such a wonderful woman that there are times I can hardly keep from telling you." Leslie Flynn -James S. Hewett, Illustrations Unlimited (Wheaton: Tyndale House Publishers, Inc, 1988)
- I am thankful for God's Love
- A love that counted no cost too great to bring me to Himself.
- A love that loved me when I did not love Him.
- I am thankful for God's Mercy
- That when I was in sin He did not leave me there.
- That when I went astray His Spirit spoke to me and gave me repentance
- That when I deserved punishment, He forgave me for Jesus sake.
- I am thankful for His goodness
- That let me be born in the USA instead of a hundred other places where I could have never had what I have now.
- That gave me parents that cared more for me than they did for themselves and didn't spend what little we had on drugs or booze.
- That gave me a wife that loved me enough to look beyond my faults and the sacrifices I asked of her to see4 what God would have her to do.
- That gave me children that have made me proud to be called dad.
- That has watched over us these meany years to be better off than billions of others.
- The parable of the ten lepers
- Thankfulness is due to God
- Thanklessness is scandalous.
- Thankfulness is a sign of spiritual growth.
Thanksgiving is so important not only to God but to our own well being. When have we set down and counted the blessings. Or are we like most people we think more on what we do not have that what we do.