Developing Our Communion With God
22 . . . Enoch walked with God three hundred years, and had sons and daughters.
23 So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years.
24 And Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him. NKJV
This is the first time we find this term, walked with God. It has some very special significance.
He walked in the name and fear of God, according to his will, in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord then made known; Gill
It was not said about many people. But similar things were said such as David was a man after God's own heart. Or Abram was told to walk before the Lord and be perfect.
I think we could all admit that there is one thing that is necessary to have communion with God. It is desire. We usually only pursue the things we desire. How many will be watching the Super Bowl? There are a few tickets available. I got this off the internet last night. We can get you a ticket for as little as $3,300 or if you want a good seat for $4,350. Now you have to have a desire to pay that kind of money to see a game of football.
How many people would pay $4,000 for a visit with God. Some people would not even spend 40 minutes. God help us as God's people to get our priorities straight.
- God is the initiator
- When God created Adam & Eve
- He came to them every evening
- Adam and Eve didn't have to go looking for God
- Enoch walked with God for at least 300 years and then God took him home.
- Noah walked with God and saved the human race from God's judgment.
- Jesus said He desired that His followers would be with Him where He is.
- God wants us just for us.
- He wants us to have communion with Him.
- He wants to bless us with purpose, fulfilment, and eternal joy.
- Matthew 25:21 "His lord said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.'
- What does it look like?
- It looks like best friends
- You won't see one without the other.
- Separated only when there is no other choice.
- It's like grandchildren who light up when grandma or grandpa come around.
- It like a dating couple who talk for hours and hours and never get bored with one another.
- We don't need Him
- We are healthy
- We have enough money
- God has blessed us so much, we just don't need Him any more.
- Kind of funny how we needed Him on 9/11 but that all wore off.
- We don't see the benefit
- Not interested in getting closer to God, it is not worth it.
- We don't need a lenten Bible study or spiritual maturity.
- What can God do for us.
- We would rather have it our way.
- That is what we call sin.
- Isaiah 55:9 "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts.
- We just don't see things God's way.
- Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, unless they are agreed?
God's wants you to come to Him for a visit every day. He wants you to take Him with you every where you go. He wants to share your burdens and your joys. He wants to give you wisdom to make those right decisions in life. But He is not a bully. He will force His way into your life. Those decisions must be made by you and you alone.
This message was preached at FBC Toulon, by Albert Harmon. See it at http://toulonbaptist.com