The Bible: Can You Trust It?
2 Tim 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. NKJV
When the word scriptures is mentioned it is referring to all the Bible. The Old Testament is included naturally because it was the Scripture of the New Testament people. But Jesus also gave testimony to the writings of the writers of the gospels when He said, "the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." (John 14) the writings of the apostle Paul are set on the same level as the other Scriptures by Peter when he said, "consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation -- as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, 16 as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures". (2 Peter 3:15-16)
So then when Paul says that Scripture is inspired, he is referring not only to Old Testament books but the writings of the New Testament as well. But what does he say about these Scriptures is the topic of our message today.
- They are inspired by God.
- The meaning of the word
- The term means God breathed.
- Paul uses here a new word that reflects the strength of the origin of the Scriptures.
- In the truest sense of the word hold that it means that the entire Bible is exactly what God wanted wrote.
- That makes the Bible unique.
- There are no other books like that anywhere in the world.
- The reason we know that is that other so called inspired writings do not agree with the Bible.
- If God wrote the Bible and He also wrote other books then they must agree, for God cannot lie.
- I think it is amusing when someone says that all the world religions are basically alike.
- Or that all Christian denominations are basically alike.
- I am here to tell you that not even all Baptist churches are basically alike.
- Don't ever let anyone tell you it doesn't make any difference what you believe for Jesus said, "if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins ." John 8:24 NKJV
- The Bible was not given by dictation but rather by an influence over the writer that kept them from writing anything not wanted by God.
- 2 Peter 1:21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit NKJV
- They are profitable for doctrine
- The word doctrine simply means teaching.
- It is kind of funny that for the first 100 years in this country that the Bible was a central textbook in our schools and now it is a banded book.
- We live in a culture today where most people cannot even name the four gospels let alone know much of the teachings of Jesus.
- And even among Christians we are greatly ignorant of what are considered the basic teachings of the Christian faith.
- It is because most Christians see not profitableness in the Bible.
- Although that is exactly what Paul says, it is profitable, helpful, useful.
- For many it is useful like a life boat, I read this past week that the captain of the Titanic tried to get more of the life boats removed before they sailed because he was sure they would never need them.
- If we treat the Bible like a life boat, or a fire extinguisher we will be in problems.
- Instead it needs to be used like a shower or a bath tub. How often do you use them.
- They are profitable for reproof
- The Bible is not just a nice book of poems and quaint writings.
- It is meant to reprove those who are living foolishly.
- No one likes reproof but only a fool despises it.
- Prov 12:1 Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, But he who hates reproof is stupid. NASU
- The purpose of reproof is to bring conviction of sin and a change of heart.
- They are profitable for correction
- Correction is necessary for we all have ares where we have gone wrong.
- We can self correct by a study of God's word.
- They are profitable for instruction in righteousness
- Many books tell how to be happy.
- Many books tell how to succeed in this world.
- But only the Bible can tell us how to be righteous for God alone is righteous and He alone knows the requirements of perfection.
- So that the man of God may be:
- The word here has the idea of perfection.
- It comes from the word that means fresh.
- I take it to mean newly made, or without flaws or damage caused over time.
- Wouldn't be great to re renewed.
- Renewed to what we were thirty years ago.
- Spiritually speaking the Bible can restore us and make us complete, perfect, without the damage that life has caused.
- Thoroughly equipped for every good work.
- The Bible has everything that we need to do the work God has called us to do.
- God has a work He has assigned to you.
- The Bible is the instruction book to do the work.
- Now I know that for many of us the instructions are the last thing we look at.
- But if we want to know the way to live life according to God's plan then the Bible is our book.
- Read and study it every day.
This message was preached at FBC Toulon, by Albert Harmon. See it at http://toulonbaptist.com