Does Our Father Know Best?
And the LORD God said, "It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him."
19 Out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name.
20 So Adam gave names to all cattle, to the birds of the air, and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper comparable to him.
21 ¶ And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place.
22 Then the rib which the LORD God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man.
23 And Adam said: "This is now bone of my bones And flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, Because she was taken out of Man."
24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
Back in October of 1954 a new show started on CBS. It was called Father Knows Best. Each week Robert Young and Jane Wyatt went through the struggles of rasing a family of three. And without a doubt father did not always know best for as true to the case he was but human. The show ran for about 9 years 203 episodes before it went off the air. The show was more true to form than the modern critics make it out to be. They never depicted that the father was always right and in fact showed openly his weaknesses. Many of the modern sitcoms are just the opposite. The father is never right and is played most times to be a fool.
For the last half century we have been tweaking the family structure in this country. The social designers and the radical feminist movement have worked very hard to sell their ideas.
Even some well meaning church groups have bought into this enlightened insight. But in order to do that they had to reject some major teachings of the Bible. They justified their new understanding in various ways, all of which essentially attacked the inspiration and authority of the Bible. So now we had come into our enlightened age.
But what of the results? When I was a child in the 50s, divorce was almost unheard of. Marriages had a 90% or better chance of lasting till death do us part. Homes were the central place in society and were considered of primary importance. Because almost all children had the benefit of a father as well as a mother, they grew up fairly well able to raise their own families and support society.
But 50 years later we have it so much better. The number of single parent families has continued to go up each year. And the social planners want us to think that is fine. The kids will be fine they tells us. Children don't need a mom and a dad, either one will do fine. About half the children in the USA will never again go to bed at night with both of their parents in the same house.
I don't say any of these things as a condemnation on those who have been divorced. That is unless they think divorce is OK and people ought to be able to make a life long commitments and then break them at the first sign of trouble.
I see the people who have gone through divorce as victims of a society that has abandoned God's instructions for families.
Marriages today only have about a 50% success rate of keeping their wedding vows. And our society is at the breaking point. We cannot build prisons fast enough. And I am waiting for the day in which a child comes up missing that the one responsible is not already a convicted sex offender.
We could go on and on about the problems of our society but that is not what I want to do. I want to talk about what can we do about it. Our society will never get back on track as long as the church in America does not teach what the Bible teaches about families.
As long as the church sees itself only as a hospital for broken souls, which she is, instead of a prophetic voice of God declaring God's truth to a world adrift in a sea of falsehood, we will continue on the road to ultimate ruin.
That is what I wish to do, to proclaim God's truth about family life. To help us understand and accept God's formula for the family. To give you the Bible facts and resources to help us put those truths into practice.
- God invented the family
- The account of Adam and Eve is true.
- God revealed all this to Moses.
- Both were created in the image of God.
- God created first the man and then the woman, but not from the ground but from the man.
- She was meant to be his partner, a helper.
- Was that by accident or by design, by design the text indicates.
- God only created one woman for Adam and she was a woman.
- Later we will see that Jesus used this passage to show that God never intended for men and woman to be divorced.
- If God had intended for Adam and Eve to have more choices he would have created many people, but He didn't. God created fields full of cattle and the air full of birds but when He created us He made only two. They were for each other and never had another choice.
- Then there is that wonderful passage, "Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh." v-24
- Jesus said that it was.
- Matthew 19:3 ¶ The Pharisees also came to Him, testing Him, and saying to Him, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for just any reason?" 4 And He answered and said to them, "Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning 'made them male and female,' 5 "and said, 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'? 6 "So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate."
- When the discussion of divorce was addressed, Jesus takes them back to the creation.
- He says that the man leaves family to be joined to his wife and therefore become one with her, they together become one.
- And at that point God intends them to be together the remainder of their lives.
- The Apostle Paul spoke often of it.
- God created them male and female
- Each was made with certain God given characteristics and roles.
- Some people think that men and women are the same.
- That is foolish.
- we have modified everything in our society to try to prove that men and woman are the same.
- But there are dozens of ways that men and women are different.
- The day the NFL starts marketing to women and the day Martha Stewart has a show for male homemakers I might change my mind.
- With all of our talk of equality we lie at almost every sporting event and when will the romance novels become fashionable for men.
- We need to find out how God made us and then try to fulfill those roles as God intends.
- Each was made to compliment the other.
- One of the best places to see this is in the raising of children.
- What child was ever raised that said you know mom and dad are just alike.
- Each one has a God given role in raising children.
- They have dozens of studies and regardless of what the liberals want, the most stable and successful children come from families with a mom and a dad at home who are engaged in raising their children.
- The parents primary concern was never to be about themselves but their children.
Mal. 2:13-16 13 And this is the second thing you do: You cover the altar of the LORD with tears, With weeping and crying; So He does not regard the offering anymore, Nor receive it with goodwill from your hands. 14 Yet you say, "For what reason?" Because the LORD has been witness Between you and the wife of your youth, With whom you have dealt treacherously; Yet she is your companion And your wife by covenant. 15 But did He not make them one, Having a remnant of the Spirit? And why one? He seeks godly offspring. Therefore take heed to your spirit, And let none deal treacherously with the wife of his youth.
16 "For the LORD God of Israel says That He hates divorce, For it covers one's garment with violence," Says the LORD of hosts. "Therefore take heed to your spirit, That you do not deal treacherously." NKJV
- There is much more in this passage than we can discover today.
- In verse 15 he says, "Did He not make them one"
- It was not because God did not have power for He was able to have created Adam many wives.
- But notice in the same verse he asks the question, "Why one?'
- The answer is that He seeks godly offspring.
- God knew that when families do not follow His pattern we will not have a godly but an ungodly generation.
- Therefore God hates divorce.
- Look at the results.
- Look at the broken families.
- Look at the poverty that results many times on both sides.
But God is a great healer. If we will come to him with our broken lives He will bind them up and help us along. Now I know that some will say, well if God will forgive me then what's the big deal. Well if I take this saw and cut off your arm I am sure that they will most probably be able to reattach it. So come on ahead.
This message was preached at FBC Toulon, by Albert Harmon. See it at http://toulonbaptist.com