Developing Our Worship
But when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says: "Let all the angels of God worship Him." NKJV
Buddha's Eyetooth: A two inch long discolored eyetooth is reverenced by 400 million Buddhists as the most sacred object on earth. The tooth is supposed to have been reclaimed from Buddha's funeral pyre in 543 B.C. and was brought to Ceylon 800 years later. Today the tooth sets upon a golden lotus in the glorious temple of the tooth in Kandy, Ceylon. It is surrounded by rubies and tons of flowers. Each year a hundred thousand faithful Buddhists come from many countries to gaze at the sacred tooth. They bring gifts of gold, silver and jewels to place within the temple.
In worship people praise and honor the one worshiped. The Caesars demanded worship as a god. Well they were in charge of the Roman Empire and they could put you to death. Thousands of Jews and Christians were put to death rather than burn a pinch of incense to Caesar.
Today we give praise to many types of people, to actors and actresses. We honor sports figures and even a few religious people who have usurped they place of God in worship. "When men stop worshipping God, they promptly start worshipping man, with disastrous results". -- George Orwell in the Observer (1945), Christianity Today, Vol. 33, no. 15.
But we worship God, the Jehovah of the OT. We worship Him through Jesus Christ. In the OT the general people could only worship through a priest. Jesus is our high priest that makes it possible to come boldly to God's throne.
But why worship Jesus? Is He better than all others, than us?
As we will see in our message today Jesus is worthy of worship. The NT describes Him as quite unique. We can never find any who we could compare to Him.
- He was Virgin Born.
- God designed His birth to escape the sinful nature of mankind.
- The Bible plainly teaches it.
- All those who deny it have an agenda they are trying to promote.
- He lived a sinless life.
- John 8:46 Which of you convicts Me of sin? NKJV
- Instead He forgave sin. Matt 9:2 Then behold, they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, "Son, be of good cheer; your sins are forgiven you." NKJV
- His Blood was shed for the cleansing of many people. Matt 26:28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. NKJV
- Christ is the revealer of God to man.
- John 1:17-18 For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him. NKJV
- Christ is the Only Redeemer of men
- Matt 18:11 For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost NKJV
- Matt 20:28 the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many." NKJV
- Rev 5:8-10 Now when He had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. 9 And they sang a new song, saying: "You are worthy to take the scroll, And to open its seals; For You were slain, And have redeemed us to God by Your blood Out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation, 10 And have made us kings and priests to our God; And we shall reign on the earth." NKJV
- His Resurrection
- His Ascension
- His intercession for us
CON: Rev 5:11-14
11 Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne, the living creatures, and the elders; and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands, 12 saying with a loud voice:
"Worthy is the Lamb who was slain
To receive power and riches and wisdom,
And strength and honor and glory and blessing!"
13 And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying:
"Blessing and honor and glory and power
Be to Him who sits on the throne,
And to the Lamb, forever and ever!"
14 Then the four living creatures said, "Amen!" And the twenty-four elders fell down and worshiped Him who lives forever and ever. NKJV
God is looking for worshipers. And if the religious elite are too proud or too busy to learn to worship him, he seeks the worship of those whose lives are trapped in moral ruin. Erwin W. Lutzer (1941- ) -Edythe Draper, Draper's Book of Quotations for the Christian World (Wheaton: Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., 1992). Entries 12096-12098.
Maybe you ask what does that have to do with me?
Not long ago, the world watched as three gray whales, icebound off Point Barrow, Alaska, floated battered and bloody, gasping for breath at a hole in the ice. Their only hope: somehow to be transported five miles past the ice pack to open sea. Rescuers began cutting a string of breathing holes about twenty yards apart in the six-inch-thick ice.
For eight days they coaxed the whales from one hole to the next, mile after mile. Along the way, one of the trio vanished and was presumed dead. But finally, with the help of Russian icebreakers, the whales Putu and Siku swam to freedom.
In a way, worship is a string of breathing holes the Lord provides his people. Battered and bruised in a world frozen over with greed, selfishness, and hatred, we rise for air in church, a place to breathe again, to be loved and encouraged, until that day when the Lord forever shatters the ice cap. -- Craig Brian Larson, Arlington Heights, Illinois. Leadership, Vol. 11, no. 2.
This message was preached at FBC Toulon, by Albert Harmon. See it at http://toulonbaptist.com
Idolatry is worshiping anything that ought to be used, or using anything that is meant to be worshiped. -- Augustine, Leadership, Vol. 4, no. 4.