How to Give Away Your Faith
40 One of the two who heard John speak, and followed Him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He first found his own brother Simon, and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which is translated, the Christ). 42 And he brought him to Jesus.
Now when Jesus looked at him, He said, "You are Simon the son of Jonah. You shall be called Cephas" (which is translated, A Stone).
43 The following day Jesus wanted to go to Galilee, and He found Philip and said to him, "Follow Me." 44 Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. 45 Philip found Nathanael and said to him, "We have found Him of whom Moses in the law, and also the prophets, wrote — Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph." NKJV
Have you ever seen those pushy salesmen who could sell snow to an Eskimo. There are some Christians who are like that, but I don’t want you to be one of them. On the other hand many Christians could be compared to a man with a limitless supply of water in the middle of a desert. There are thirsty people all around but yet he never shares with them that he knows where the oasis is.
I. You must know where you got the water.
A. You must have it.
1. As I spoke last week, if you do not know that you have it, you cannot give it to others.
2. You can’t tell someone how to do something you have never done.
3. You might have an idea, but you cannot have real knowledge.
B. You must know where it was you got it.
1. If you think you got it because you joined the church, then you are in trouble and everyone that you tell.
2. The Pharisees of Jesus day were good at making disciples, but notice what Jesus said about it.
3. Matt 23:15 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel land and sea to win one proselyte, and when he is won, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves. NKJV
4. If you think that you got it when you were baptized then you are mistaken and all those who you lead that way will also fall. Listen to Jesus again.
5. Luke 6:39 Can the blind lead the blind? shall they not both fall into the ditch ? KJV
6. If you know that Jesus is where you got it then you can tell people all about it.
II. You must believe that God wants you to give out the water.
A. Jesus came to save sinners.
1. John 3:16
2. 1 Tim 1:15 Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners NKJV
B. Jesus came to seek and save the lost.
1. Matt 18:11 For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost. NKJV
C. Jesus commanded His followers to make disciples of all nations.
1. Matt 28:18-20 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen. NKJV
2. Mark 16:15 And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. NKJV
III. You must believe that others are thirsty.
A. Almost everyone you meet struggles with what their purpose in life is.
1. Remember the writer of Eccl 3:11 Also He has put eternity in their hearts NKJV
2. Eccl 3:11 H e has planted eternity in the human heart, NLT
3. “He has . . . established in man an impulse leading him beyond that which is temporal toward the eternal: it lies in his nature not to be contented with the temporal, but to break through the limits which it draws around him, to escape from the bondage and the disquietude within which he is held, and amid the ceaseless changes of time to console himself by directing his thoughts to eternity.” (from Keil & Delitzsch Commentary on the Old Testament:)
IV. You must know how to get them to the water.
A. Its not that you are smarter than they are.
B. Its not you are better than they are.
C. Its just that God was gracious to you and He wants you to share His love story.
1. This is where your story comes in.
2. No one can argue with your story.
3. Just tell them how you came to saving faith in Jesus and invite them to do the same.
V. You need to know how the water works.
A. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. JOHN 3:16 (NIV)
B. Note what God did: ". . . He gave his only Son." This is how he dealt with your sin. Imagine it this way. Suppose you are found guilty of a crime. You are in a courtroom in front of the judge, and he sentences you to death for your crime. His sentence is just. You are guilty, and the punishment for your crime is death. But suppose that the judge is your father. He knows the law; he knows that your crime demands a death. But he knows love; he knows that he loves you too much to let you die. So in a wonderful act of love, he stands and removes his robe and stands by your side and says, "I'm going to die in your place."
C. That is what God did for you. The wages of sin is death. Heaven's justice demands a death for your sin. Heaven's love, however, can't bear to see you die. So here is what God did. He stood and removed his heavenly robes. He came to earth to tell us he would die for us. He would be our Savior. And that is what he did.
D. "God put the world square with himself through the Messiah, giving the world a fresh start by offering forgiveness of sins . . . God put on him the wrong who never did anything wrong, so we could be put right with God" (2 Corinthians 5:19, 21, MSG).
E. What does God want you to do? He wants you to get on his bus. How is this done? Three simple steps: admit, agree, accept.
1. Admit that God has not been first place in your life, and ask him to forgive your sins. "If we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us and to cleanse us from every wrong" (1 John 1:9 N LT) .
2. Agree that Jesus died to pay for your sins and that he rose from the dead and is alive today.
a. If you confess with your mouth, `Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved" (Romans 10:9, NIV).
b. "Salvation is found in no one else [Jesus], forthere is no other name by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:12, NIV).
3. Accept God's free gift of salvation. Don't try to earn it.
a. "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast" (Ephesians 2:8, 9 NIV).
b. "To all who received him, he gave the right to become children of God. All they needed to do was to trust him to save them. All those who believe this are reborn!—not a physical rebirth .. . but from the will of God" (John 1:12 ,13, TLB).
c. Jesus says, "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in . . ." (Revelation 3:20, NIV).
d. With all of my heart, I urge you to accept God's destiny for your life. I urge you to get on board with Christ. According to the Bible, "Jesus is the only One who can save people. His name is the only power in the world that has been given to save people. We must be saved through him" (Acts 4:12).
e. Would you let him save you? This is the most important decision you will ever make. Why don't you give your heart to him right now? Admit your need. Agree with his work. Accept his gift. Go to God in prayer and tell him, I am a sinner in need of grace. I believe that Jesus died for me on the cross. I accept your offer of salvation. It's a simple prayer with eternal results.
This week Victoria asked me one of those hard questions. Hard not because I don’t know the answer, but hard because it is hard to explain. She asked if animals went to heaven when they die.
What I told her is that when God created everything, the animals and people, that He created people special. They were not created like the animals for people were made in the image of God. And that of all the physical beings that God created, He created man for a special place with God for all eternity. Man is special.
But of all the people in the world, Christians are special. They have a relationship with God, based on their faith and commitment to Jesus Christ as their Savior. And God has commissioned each of them to tell the family story. To tell others how they too can become part of God’s forever family.
How will you spend your remaining years here on this earth. Will you spend them in light of eternity, sharing the good news or not.
Could it be that you are missing your whole purpose in life?