For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith." NKJV
I. G: God’s Good News
A. That is why Paul could not be ashamed of it without being ashamed of God
1. Those who pervert the gospel are not just giving us their take on the gospel, they are telling us that they cannot accept the gospel as God gave it.
2. Joh 7:16 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
3. 1Ti 1:11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.
B. It was God’s Plan, His only plan.
C. It was the gospel of Christ
1. It was about Christ
D. It is the news that gives us hope when life fails us.
1. We look not to security as this world knows it.
2. The gospel bring order out of chaos when life does not fulfill its hopes.
II. O: Only Way to Heaven
A. God has always had only one way to heaven
B. The story of the gospel excludes all other plans.
1. For in the gospel God gives the ultimate price to bring us to heaven.
2. No other way to heaven cost so much.
3. If God’s Son did not need to die, then the gospel is foolishness on God’s part.
III. S: Salvation of People from Sin
A. The Gospel is about our salvation from sin.
1. Sin is the question.
2. Sin is that which causes us to be repulsive to God.
3. How do we get rid of our sin since sin excludes us from heaven.
4. Some people think you work it off.
5. Some people think God is not concerned about our sin.
B. But the gospel teaches that Jesus paid our penalty
1. Ro 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
2. Ro 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
3. 1Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4. 2Co 5:21 For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
IV. P: Power of God
A. It is God’s dunamis (dynamite)
1. We were dead in sins.
a. Eph 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; 2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: 3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. 4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, 5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
2. It takes power to bring life to the dead.
3. That is why we cannot save our selves.
V. E: Everyone
A. It is for everyone
VI. L: Living By Faith
A. Now by doing good works
B. Not by keeping the law
C. By faith alone, in Christ alone
the Gospel is the best news because it is just what we need.
But how are you responding to the good news.