God’s Righteousness Revealed
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith." NKJV
I. God is inherently righteous.
A. He is continually declared so in the scriptures.
1. Isa 6:4 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lifted up, and the train of His robe filled the temple. 2 Above it stood seraphim; each one had six wings: with two he covered his face, with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. 3 And one cried to another and said: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; The whole earth is full of His glory!" 4 And the posts of the door were shaken by the voice of him who cried out, and the house was filled with smoke. NKJV
2. Rev 15:4 Who shall not fear You, O Lord, and glorify Your name? For You alone are holy. NKJV
3. 1 Sam 2:2 "No one is holy like the LORD, For there is none besides You, Nor is there any rock like our God. NKJV
4. Lev 11:44 For I am the LORD your God. You shall therefore consecrate yourselves, and you shall be holy; for I am holy. NKJV
5. Luke 18:19 So Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. NKJV
B. It is a essential part of His character.
1. Ex 15:11 "Who is like You, O LORD, among the gods? Who is like You, glorious in holiness, Fearful in praises, doing wonders? NKJV
2. Ps 99:9 Exalt the LORD our God, And worship at His holy hill; For the LORD our God is holy. NKJV
3. Hab 1:12-13 Are You not from everlasting, O LORD my God, my Holy One? We shall not die. O LORD, You have appointed them for judgment; O Rock, You have marked them for correction. 13 You are of purer eyes than to behold evil, NKJV
II. Without works or actions that righteousness could not be displayed to us.
A. That is why Paul introduces the next section with verse 18
1. Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, NKJV
III. The Gospel reveals God’s Righteousness.
A. By condemning everyone.
1. No one needs to wait till life is over to find out if they made it or not.
a. Isa 64:6 But we are all like an unclean thing, And all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags; We all fade as a leaf, And our iniquities, like the wind, Have taken us away. NKJV
2. The Gentiles without the law have even lived contrary to the law that God placed in their hearts.
3. The Jews, with God’s revealed law did not do any better.
4. That is Paul’s conclusion.
a. Romans 3:22-23 (NKJV)22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference; 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
B. By Jesus dying for the sinner’s sin.
1. Rom 3:21-26
a. But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe.
b. For there is no difference; 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
c. 24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,
d. 25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood,
e. through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness,
f. because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed,
g. 26 to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. NKJV
2. Rom 5:6-9
a. For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
b. 7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. 8
c. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
d. 9 Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.NKJV
3. 2 Cor 5:21
a. For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us,
b. that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. NKJV
4. Gal 3:13
a. 13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law,
b. having become a curse for us (for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree"), NKJV
5. 1 Peter 2:24 who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, NKJV
6. 1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, NKJV
C. By offering free salvation to all who believe without regard to works.
1. Rom 4:1-4 What then shall we say that Abraham our father has found according to the flesh? 2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. 3 For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness." 4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt. NKJV
2. Rom 4:5-6 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works: NKJV
God’s Righteousness is the only righteousness that God will accept.
Do you have God’s Righteousness?
You get it through faith in the finished work of Jesus Christ.
It is a free gift. Eph 2:8-10 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. NKJV
If in your mind you have anything to do with getting to heaven, they you need to think again.