God’s Righteous Judgment
12 For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law 13(for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified; 14 for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, 15 who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them) 16 in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel. NKJV
I. Everyone will face God’s judgment
A. The Gentiles
1. Never had the law, like the Jews did.
a. But as Paul has already shown they had received a basic knowledge of God.
b. Rom 1:19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. NKJV
2. They did have the law written in their hearts, v-15
3. Even the limited law that they did have, they broke.
a. Every culture develops their own laws and they are very close to the ones given by God.
b. But still they broke those commands although they knew they were wrong.
4. They knew enough to be accountable to God.
a. This is the basic problem.
b. Everyone knows enough to be accountable to God.
c. As Paul has already stated, if we can pick out the sins of others then we know right from wrong.
B. The Jews
1. They not only had the laws of Nature but also God’s direct revelation.
a. Later on in chapter nine Paul will tell the blessings of being a Jew.
b. The primary one was that they above all other peoples had received a revelation from God.
c. A revelation that clearly stated who God was and what He was like.
d. A revelation that give God’s righteous commandments.
e. But not only that but they had received the gift of the Messiah to be born to them in the person of Jesus Christ.
2. But it is not the hearers of the law who will be declared just in God’s sight but those who obey the law. 2:13
a. As was commanded, the Jews made a big deal about learning the law and even committing it to memory.
b. They prided themselves that they had received the law and that they were its care takers.
c. But at the same time they rejected the law from having any control in their lives.
d. They knew it, and said they trusted in it but they did not keep it.
II. Even the motives will be judged
A. Everyone will be judged on the basis of what they have done.
1. As we saw last week, weather we are a Christian or not, what we do is going to count in the end.
2. Every idle word: Matt 12:36 But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. NKJV
B. But even the good done by men will be scrutinized by God’s x-ray judgment.
1. Long ago God told Samuel that God looks on the heart when examining an individual.
III. The Perfect Judge
A. Jesus Christ
1. The only one ever to keep the whole law, even in His heart.
2. Jesus said that He always did those things that pleased the Father. Jn 8:29
3. Heb 7:26 For such a High Priest was fitting for us, who is holy, harmless , undefiled, separate from sinners, NKJV
4. 2 Cor 5:21 For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. NKJV
5. Heb 4:15 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. NKJV
6. 1 John 3:5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. NKJV
B. According to my gospel.
1. The message that Paul preached was one of Grace.
2. But it was one of grace that changed lives.
3. Grace that does not change lives is cheap grace.
4. Paul had little time for those who professed a Gospel that had not revolutionized their own lives.
5. Paul preached a gospel where salvation was by grace alone through faith alone.
Paul is systematically laying out his case. Everyone, Jews as well and Gentiles are accountable to God. Those who have the law will be judge by that law. Those who have never seen the law will be judged according to what they know of right and wrong.
God not only judges our action, He judges our motives.
He judges the secrets of our hearts. Nothing is hidden from Him.